Friday, 1 October 2010
Had a bit of a prosthetics moment the other day so decided to make a silicone nose. It isn't the best and I have learned a lot from where I went wrong, but it gives an idea. The nose was made in plastiline first and then moulded and cast in silicone. Next time I hope to make the silicone much more translucent so that it can be easily blended into skin.
Wednesday, 15 September 2010
Monday, 13 September 2010
This is a little wax carving of an elephant I made yesterday evening. I have never carved anything using wax before but it is a really nice material to use. I hope to cast this model in silver using the lost wax process, but whether that will happen, I don't know. It is annoying that the photos don't pick up very much detail due to the colour of the wax.
Friday, 3 September 2010
Wednesday, 1 September 2010
Got a little bored today and decided to see if I could make some canine extensions. These are the 3rd set that I made, the first lot were to see if it would work. They are made out of polymorph which is what the eyes of my sculpts are made from. It is a type of plastic that becomes maluable in hot water and cools when it is taken out. I had to stain it a little because raw polymorph is very white, and my teeth are not...
Monday, 30 August 2010
Another day another sculpt. This is a fish alien creature which is vaguely inspired by those fish aliens from Star Wars. Don't know what they are called but those ones. Everything else is pretty self-explanatory really, but if you have any questions go ahead and ask.
Thursday, 12 August 2010
For this sculpt, I was inspired after watching 'The Making of Jurassic Park' so I decided I would make my own raptor. Took the best part of a day to get it done but I was using a technique I hadn't used before. I knew that for prosthetic creation they dilute some of the clay they use with a solvent to create tiny skin bumps and pores. I decided to try the same thing to create 3d scales so mixed some of the clay with white spirit. Seemed to work quite well so I will be using it more often from now on.
Friday, 6 August 2010
Yet another head sculpt. This one I was actually doing at the same time as the female head but have only just gotten round to finishing it. It actually started life as a female sculpt but kept going wrong so out of frustration, I crushed it but carried on with it because it looked querky.
Sunday, 1 August 2010
This one took quite a long time. It was a challenge really because I realised I hadn't actually done any female sculpts before. I had often sculpted characters with aged, worn faces or monsters so a pretty woman with no wrinkles was a challenge. But, yes, I found it difficult. Also got around lack of skin texture by adding a lot of hair. Also the sculpt has no ears...After hours I just couldn't bring myself to make them.
Tuesday, 27 July 2010
These are a few shots of another sculpt I did today. Made in exactly the same material and way as the last, just a weird tapir man. These sculpts were made with a cocktail stick which I personally find is one of the best implements to use. I probably should firstly buy and then start using sculpting tools but at the moment I will stick with the cocktail stick.
Monday, 26 July 2010
These are a few shots of a small-scale sculpt that I made yesterday. I had realised I hadn't made a detailed sculpt for a while and decided it was perhaps time that I should. I hope to make another soon. The 50 pence piece is simply there to give a sense of scale. This sculpt is made in hard Plastiline so will not dry and altogether took about 3 and a bit hours to make.
Wednesday, 14 July 2010
This is a model of the Nazi's car that I made for close-ups. It is only half the car because I was under the impression that I didn't need the whole car. This was true, however I wish I had made the whole thing because it would have given me more freedom shot wise. This car, like the cellos was sculpted in Milliput. In hindsight, I think I would have sculpted it in plasticine and then moulded it and cast it in resin.